Sarcasm and the Peace Process in Israel

The New York Times has reported on comments by Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice that former president Jimmy Carter's visits with Hamas has confused US efforts to broker a Palestinian-Israeli peace accord. The idea that the US has undergone efforts to broker a Palestinian-Israeli peace accord has come as a shock to the people of the US.

"I'm astounded," said Jonathan Firman, a 42-year-old walking by me while I write this. "When did these efforts start? I really thought we were just coasting for the last 7 years or so. I can't tell you how surprised I am."

The news has also surprised members of the State Department, the national agency run by Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice. Calls to the Bureau for a Palestinian-Israeli Peace Accord at the State Department went unanswered by press time. At least one call resulted an automated message that the phone number is now disconnected. All emails bounced back. One employee at a neighboring bureau said anonymously that she hadn't seen anyone come into the office for years.

"They said something in 2001 about going to Vegas for supplies," said the anonymous official. "I haven't seen them since."

Posted in Labels: , , |

0 comments: