Shifa Sentencing

Yesterday, December 14, Eshanul (Shifa) Sadequee and Haris Ahmed were sentenced. Shifa received a 17 year sentence and Haris a 13 year one. Both will have a 30-year probation after serving their time. Shifa represented himself at the hearing and, after hearing a prepared statement by the judge, refused to stand. Although Judge Duffy said during the hearing he would consider certain objections when sentencing, his reading of a prepared statement meant he had already made up his mind before entering the courtroom. Judge Duffy is, at best, disingenuous. Worse, his statement was a white supremacist rant along the lines of Samuel Huffington's "Clash of Civilizations." I will write my impressions of that disgusting display later.

Below is my statement on behalf of Shifa. Shifa refused to allow anyone to speak on his behalf. I can only surmise that spending 3 1/2 years in solitary confinement has had some kind of effect on him. The trauma of that experience must be extreme. My statement begins below. You can read more about the sentencing, including the family statement, at freeshifa.com.

My name is Daniel. I first met Shifa some years ago and a friend of his and his family. In considering his sentence, I would like to tell you about the Shifa I met and know. This Shifa is compassionate, caring, and gentle. The Shifa I know is one who has worked to make Atlanta a better place, a place without violence.


I met Shifa at a national conference to end domestic violence. I met Shifa in the hallway and spoke with him about the conference. He struck me as young but sincere in his desire to create a world without violence. Through Shifa I met his sister and was connected to Raksha, the South Asian anti-domestic violence organization. I was working on a project to bring together crime survivors with family members of formerly and currently incarcerated people in order to address state policy issues. Shifa helped facilitate this project through his introductions. It was through this project I met my wife. It is too strong to say I owe my marriage to Shifa, I do not. However, the path that led me to where I am included meeting Shifa. He helped me along that path. He did it through kindness and gentleness.


Justice would be served by considering the full person before you. Your honor, the only Shifa I know is one who is peaceful. The only Shifa I know is one who loves his family and wants them to live in a violence-free world. I would welcome this Shifa to live in my neighborhood or in my home. As you sentence him today, I ask that you consider this Shifa.

Posted in Labels: , |

0 comments: